What to See around Rome:
Visitors Center: Provides a warm welcome and
lots of information on what to see and do in Rome.
Located on one of Rome's seven hills, the Visitors Center
is housed in a 1901 train depot with an attached caboose.
Mon - Fri. 9:00am - 5:00pm, Sat., 10:00am - 3:00pm.
Closed major holidays. (706) 295-5576, 800
When in Rome, drop by
the Visitors Center where you can receive detailed brochures,
maps, Visitors buttons and an audio cassette tape for a
walking/driving tour. Promotional materials and assistance is
also available for convention/meeting planning, as well
as complete group tour services.
Noble Machine Shop Lathe: Built in 1847, this
massive piece of machinery survived the destructive hands
of Union troops who burned the Noble Iron Works in
November, 1864. The lathe was used to make steamboat
engines, furnaces, locomotives and Confederate cannons.
Adjacent is a Corliss steam engine typical of the type
used to operate the lathe. The lathe was powered by
electricity and used by Brewer and Taylor Foundry and
Machine Shop, prior to it's retirement in the
Cabin: Typical home built by
pioneer families who settled on small farms in Floyd County
between 1830 - 1850. Corey Nickles visiting the Boswell
Gin: The actual age of this
cotton gin is unknown, But the fact that it sat on a wooden
stand makes it very old. It never ginned cotton picked by
a mechanized picker until 1963, and at that time, it was the
oldest cotton gin still in use in Floyd County.
Engine: The Corliss Steam
Engine served Rome's Southern Cooperative Foundry for 69 years
from 1902-0971. Purchased from The Schofield Company in
Macon, Georgia, the Corliss has a single slow turning, ten foot
drive wheel, which was driven by 60 lbs. of boiler pressure
steam. The "to and fro" motion of the piston was turned
into a rotary motion; which then supplied power to move
conveyor belts and other equipment in the plant. James
Watt of Scotland was the first to use steam on each side of the
piston, thus creating an engine that would give a steady flow
of power at a reasonable cost. This achievement brought
about the "Industrial Revolution". The Southern
Cooperative Foundry was one of many in Rome that produced
stoves, heaters, ranges and grates. Thus Rome was dubbed
the "Stove Center of The South".
fortifications located atop one of Rome's seven hills.
These trenches of Jackson Hill were part of a system of
"earthworks" a Civil War development that helped revolutionized
the science of war. All of the above are located on Jackson
Hill adjacent to the Visitors Bureau.
Come cruise the
Oostanaula, Etowah, and Coosa Rivers aboard the
Local Communities: in Floyd County.
Museum: This National Landmark,
built in 1794, is the original home of prominent Cherokee
Leader, Major Ridge. Artifacts discovered on the grounds
behind the house, as well as other materials relating to the
removal of the Cherokee from the Georgia area are on
display. Visiting hours are Tuesday - Friday 9:00am to
3:00pm, Saturdays 10:00am - 4:00pm. Closed Sunday and Monday
and major holidays.
Hall & Capitoline Wolf: Rome's municipal offices and the City Auditorium,
where events such a performances by the Rome Symphony Orchestra
are held, are located at this site. Outside City Hall is
the Capitoline Wolf Statue with Romulus and Remus. This
replica of the original Etruscan art was a gift to Georgia's
Rome from ancient Rome in 1929.
Rivers Historic District: (Slide Show) Turn
of the century homes, some Rome's oldest churches,
delightful shops and restaurants are to be found here.
Broad Street, the second widest in Georgia, is an
award-winning Streetscape Program. Walk tour
brochures are at the Visitors Center.
Clock Tower: The four-faced
clock and tower are located on Tower Hill in downtown
Rome. The tower was constructed in 1871 to hold the
city's water supply. The clock was added in 1872.
It is the official symbol of the city and sits atop one of
Rome's seven hills. The structure is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places.
Tower Museum: Murals and
artifacts from Rome's history, the restored original
clockworks, a spiral staircase comprised of 107 steps and an
observation deck for a panoramic view of historic Rome are some
of the many features of this unique attraction. April -
November, Sat., 10:00am - 4:00pm, Sun., 1:00pm - 5:00pm and by
Hill Cemetery: Located atop one
of Rome's seven hills in downtown Rome. Myrtle Hill Cemetery is
unusual for it's excellent scenic view of the city and it's
picturesque markers and monuments. The cemetery is the
final resting place of the first Mrs. Woodrow Wilson (the 28th
President), the "Known Soldier" from World War 1 and 377
soldiers who died in Civil War battles around Rome.
The Martha Berry
Museum & Art Gallery: This
magnificent example of Greek Revival architecture houses a
remarkable collection of art, as well as exhibits of
memorabilia dealing with Martha Berry's life and work in
founding the Berry Schools. A 28 minute film tells the
story of this "Miracle In The Mountains". Monday -
Saturday 10:00am - 5:00pm, Sunday 1:00pm - 5:00pm. Closed
major holidays. 706 291-1883.
This Classic Southern Plantation was the
Berry family home. Built in 1847, it remains
Private liberal arts co-educational
college founded in 1902 by Martha Berry, as a
Forest: Georgia's first natural
National Landmark, this 250 acre preserve is a protected virgin
forest, containing a Braille trail and wildflower trails.
The forest is managed by the Georgia Office of the Natural
Conservancy and by the Friends of Marshall Forest. Visit
by appointment only. 706 291-2121 ext 50.
A private, four-year
co-educational, liberal college chartered in 1873.
The 150 acre campus is on a wooded hilltop adjacent top
the Marshall Forest. 706
District: An intact early
suburban residential neighborhood that documents architectural
styles and landscaping practices typical of many late
nineteenth and early twentieth century communities in
Located in the heart of downtown on the
Oostanula River, this civic center schedules concerts,
conventions, meetings, sporting events and private
functions. 706 291-5281.
Rotary Memorial Wall: Dedicated
to all Veterans or Rome and Floyd County who lost their lives
during World War I, WW II, Korean War, Vietnam, and the Persian
Gulf. Located on the banks of the Ostanaula River between The
Forum and Floyd County Administrative Building and Court House.
A glowing tribute to Floyd County's many outstanding veterans,
who served their country, with honor.
College: A two-year, liberal
arts, co-educational college, which is a unit of the University
of Georgia. Founded in 1970, the campus is located on 266
acres with a 66 acre lake. 706 802-5000.
Carnegie Library Building: One
of the thirty original libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie in
Georgia. Built in 1911, this building has been restored
to a viable community us, as offices.
Regional Library: Built in
1988, this 75,000 sq. ft. structure is located on 7 1/2
acres of gardens and grounds, and houses over 250,000 books,
special collections and audiovisual resources. Mon.. -
Thurs. 9:00am - 9:00pm, Fri., 9:00am - 6:00pm, Sat., 9:00am -
5:00pm, Sun., 1:30pm - 5:30pm. 706 236-4600.
History Museum: A walk through
history with the cultures which came together to create the
area , as it is today. Tues. - Sun. 10:00am -
Dam Park: Camping, fishing, fishing bait, playground,
picnic area and group outings.
Mountain Recreational Area: Lake, picnic area and camping.
(Alhambra) Built in the early 1830's the
historic antebellum residence has housed each of Darlington's
Farms: Zion Farm is a family
owned and operated estate open to all visitors. Zion
includes 340 acres of green pastures, private paddocks, winding
mountain trails, ponds, secluded picnic areas, gardens, a
palatial stable, unique equestrian gift shop, conference room,
club room, guest cottage, show arenas, cross country course,
and even more!
Camping: Lock and Dam
Camping & RV Sites, Swan Lake RV
Centers and Sports: